The easiest way to reduce waste is to not create it in the first place.
Residents are encouraged to reduce waste by following these guidelines:
Buy only what you need
Buy used products or those with recycled content
Use, repair, and reuse what you have
Donate, give away, or sell excess items
Recycle or trash as a last resort
Practice Zero Waste
The concept of decreasing the amount of trash and recycling produced by a person, business, or organization is termed “zero waste” because that is the ultimate goal. Taking steps to get there include:
- Eliminating single-use plastic items like straws, utensils, cups, bottled water, grocery, or produce bags. Carry your own reusable alternatives.
- Finding permanent replacements for disposable items like razors, food storage bags, plastic wrap, and paper towels.
- Taking your own containers to the store for produce, bulk items, and deli foods.
- Bringing a washable take-out container with you when you go out to eat.
- Don’t feel like you have to be perfect--just start somewhere!
ACDEM offers seminars, workshops, trainings, lectures, tabling at events, and more. Give us a call to tailor something to your needs or find out where you can catch us in the community.